Installing an outdoor bamboo deck can be a fantastic way to upgrade your outdoor living space, but why do some decks produce unusual creaking sounds after installation? This article will explore the potential causes of this issue.
1. Incorrect Installation Methods
Lack of experience by the installers can lead to outdoor decking that produces unusual creaking sounds. Although people may think that installing outdoor bamboo decking is not a difficult task and that any installation company should be able to handle it, in reality, issues can arise when you use contractors with little to no experience or if you don’t take the time to check the contractor’s qualifications.
The key to avoid incorrect installation methods for your outdoor bamboo deck, it is important to choose experienced contractors who have a proven track record of successful installations. Before hiring a contractor, make sure to check their qualifications and references to ensure they have the necessary skills and expertise. Additionally, consider working with a company that specializes in bamboo decking installations, as they will have a deeper understanding of the unique challenges and requirements of this type of decking. By taking these steps, you can minimize the risk of incorrect installation methods and ensure a smooth, safe, and durable deck for your outdoor living space.
2. Uneven Joists
Your deck rests on joists, and if these joists are not at the same level, not only will there be squeaks in the deck, but it will also affect its appearance. An uneven joist can be a major repair project, requiring time, effort and money, so it is important to ensure that the joists are level when installing outdoor decking.
Here are some steps you can take to avoid uneven joists:
- Proper preparation: Before installing the decking, inspect the joists to ensure they are level and in good condition. Repair or replace any damaged or uneven joists before proceeding with the installation.
- Careful measurement: Use a level to measure the joists and make sure they are at the same height before installing the decking. If necessary, adjust the height of the joists so that they are level with each other.
- Professional installation: Hire a professional contractor who has experience installing outdoor bamboo decking. An experienced contractor will be able to accurately measure and level the joists to ensure a smooth and even installation.
By following these steps, you can avoid uneven joists and ensure a beautiful and durable outdoor bamboo deck.
3. Symptoms of bottom Deck deterioration
Besides the type of bottom deck you use, the age of the bottom deck can also cause your deck to gradually emit noise. Concrete bottom decks are generally not prone to this condition, but when using wooden & bamboo bottom decks, it is possible.
If you have already selected and plan to replace your current deck with a strand woven bamboo deck or wood deck, please pay close attention to this. Knowing the types and conditions of commonly used bottom decks is helpful in making reasonable decisions.
4. Loosening of The Clips Used in Installation
- The specific situation that often occurs when nailing the bamboo deck is that the steel nails are not properly fixed in place, causing the deck to become increasingly loose and shifting when you walk, and making a creaking sound at the same time. The solution would be to replace with new ones.
- In addition, even though the outdoor deck may have been properly nailed in during the initial installation, due to changes over time, the clips may gradually loosen or rust, and may need to be replaced. It’s necessary to check the decking regularly to make sure the clips are tight and secure and replace any clips that are loose or have rusted.
- Buying low-quality decking can also easily lead to the loosening of clips, decking being deformed and warped, lack of sufficient support for fittings, and easy looseness of fittings. Choosing high-quality decking can effectively avoid these problems. This article How To Judge The Quality Of Bamboo Decking will help you select a high-quality decking material to avoid decking issues.