Looking to clean bamboo decking? Our professional tips will help you keep your decking surface free of dust, debris, and stains without causing any damage. Learn how to maintain your bamboo decking’s natural beauty and extend its lifespan with our expert advice on clean bamboo decking.
Maintenance Methods for Clean Bamboo Decking
1. Tools required for maintenance
- bristle brush
- putty knife
2. Products Required For Maintenance
- outdoor water-based putty
- cleaning agent
- outdoor high weather-resistant paint
3. Climate conditions required for maintenance
- Construction should be carried out on sunny days.
- Temperature ≥10℃, relative humidity ≤70%
- Ensure no rainfall for 24-72 hours after completion of construction
4. Construction process
- First, the ageing paint film, surface stains, and peeled burrs should be removed.
- Clean the surface of dust and debris, then saturate the ageing paint film with a special outdoor paint cleaning agent for about 5-15 minutes, and then use a hard-bristle brush or wire brush to clean the surface along the bamboo grain direction.
- Finally, rinse the surface with clean water to remove any residual cleaning agent and ageing paint film, and let it air dry or dry with a mop.
After cleaning the surface, a drying time of ≥24 hours and a substrate moisture content of ≤20% are required.
During this time, personnel should avoid stepping on the surface.
When dealing with surface defects, check whether there is any dirt that is difficult to clean.
If so, use a blade or putty knife to remove it and use sandpaper or a sander to smooth it.
If there are defects in the boards, use outdoor putty to repair them. After the putty is dry (about 6-12 hours), use sandpaper to smooth it.
5. Applying New Paint
When maintaining it, do not apply too much paint film.
If it is too thick, use a towel to collect it.
Apply two coats of paint, and add special outdoor weather-resistant paint to the paint according to user requirements.
The drying time interval between coatings needs to be greater than 12 hours, and the construction temperature needs to be greater than 5℃.
Due to the fast drying speed of water-based paint, try to avoid operating in high-temperature weather to avoid obvious seams in the coating, affecting the overall aesthetics.
Please note that personnel are prohibited from stepping on it during the drying process.
Maintenance Strategies of Bamboo Decking
Maintenance of outdoor strand woven bamboo decking requires extra attention, include regular cleaning, waterproofing, avoiding prolonged exposure to water, preventing scratches from sharp objects, and regular inspection.
1. Regular Cleaning
Use water and a cleaning solution to clean the surface of the bamboo decking regularly to remove dust and stains.
Use a professional cleaning solution and avoid using harsh cleaning agents that may damage the decking.
Strand woven bamboo decking should be waterproofed to prevent it from being damaged by rainwater.
You can use a professional waterproof coating or clear varnish to waterproof the surface of the decking.
Waterproofing should be done promptly after installation and periodically thereafter to maintain the effectiveness of the coating.
3. Avoid Prolonged Soaking
Prolonged soaking can cause strand woven bamboo decking to rot and even become loose or cracked.
To avoid prolonged soaking, make sure that the decking has a good drainage system during installation to prevent water from accumulating.
4. Avoid Scratches From Sharp Objects
Sharp objects can easily scratch the surface of bamboo decking, causing damage to the decking.
Avoid using sharp tools or heavy objects on the decking during use.
5. Regular Inspection
Regularly inspect the surface of the decking to identify and address any issues promptly.
For example, if any areas are loose, they should be secured and repaired promptly to prevent further damage.
Following these maintenance strategies can help keep your bamboo decking in good condition and prolong its lifespan.